AIIM believes that four key Intelligent Information Management practices or methodologies – and an associated set of modular and configurable technology building blocks –– are critical to Digital Transformation success.
- Modernizing the information toolkit
- Digitalizing core organizational processes
- Automating compliance & governance
- Leveraging analytics & machine learning
Each of the bullets, or building blocks above are important, but the first two are critical to have in place…well, first. As you consider a smart approach to digital transformation, you have to plan foundational changes that can help you achieve your modernization initiatives most effectively. It’s challenging to act on the next set of recommended practices, digitalizing processes, until you better understand your IT environment and the barriers that inhibit workflow effectiveness. Often at the center of this discussion is silos of information, lack of integration, or difficulty accessing content. At the start, teams need to modernize the information toolkit.
What is modernization?
Well, this is our take of course. But try this on for size. Many of our customers have discussed two key components of their modernization efforts – sometimes referred to as IT Rationalization, re-engineering initiatives, etc. First is about meeting corporate re-engineering initiatives which can include topics similar to this list below.
- Reduce licensing and maintenance fees
- Reduce cost to serve
- Access legacy content and deliver open architected solutions with the ability to connect to 3rd party storage or applications
- Meet regulatory compliance requirements
But an important second piece of this conversation is now around user experience, which can also include the customer experience. This has become a talking point more often lately than in the past few years. What is meant by improving the experience? Here are a few examples below.
- Manage content in a single place with a more flexible deployment, more flexible admin capabilities, and more flexible user interface
- Minimize effort to find, retrieve, transform, package and deliver content across the digital ecosystem
- Limit application development on customized reports to consolidate disparate information and instead focus on valuable development and integration
- Automate repetitive tasks
Listen to Systemware’s conversation about modernization here in this webinar.
Once there are fewer silos and improved connectivity across storage and systems, then teams can consider automation on a broader scale. That’s where we then start to discuss digitalizing core organizational processes to improve collaboration, optimize time and resources, and simplify work. Your end-user tools need to be open-architected solutions that can integrate with business process automation tools. The benefit not only is productivity – better and faster ways to perform tasks, but also empowered users – a shift in focus to customer-centric, value-added work.
AIIM MarketWatch Report
In the latest MarketWatch from AIIM, digitalizing processes is the focus. Digitization of manual and paper-intensive processes has long been shown to increase efficiency. “Digitalization” goes beyond process automation to engage with people to precisely address their particular needs. The report focuses on where organizations are today, as well as where they want to be:
- Identifying business improvement opportunities
- Benefits to be gained by addressing these opportunities
- Risks/costs of not addressing these opportunities
- Recommended approaches and technologies
Here’s a quick snapshot of what you will see in the report.
Source | © AIIM 2018, www.aiim.org